General ward serving as the core of community care
Public Interest Incorporated Foundation Kashima Hospital originates from the “Kashima-no-sato Shuyoin” foundation that was established in 1943 to treat tuberculosis prevalent in those days. More than a half century later, the hospital continues to practice consistent “community care.” Both its ward for the disabled (with 39 beds) and its convalescent rehabilitation ward (with 38 beds) were relocated to the general wards. In the ward for the disabled, a 30-bed room that could be called a modern “Nightingale Ward” was established with an exclusive design of setting bedside medical columns to facilitate 360-degree care around the beds. Although named a “general ward,” it provides the function of encouraging rehabilitation in society, and could be considered a ward serving as the “core of community care” at Kashima Hospital. The exterior is composed of wide eaves and louver panels in consideration of not only reducing the heat load but also blocking strong winds blowing up from the Sea of Kashima. In addition, randomly colored louver panels were set in order to harmonize the exterior with the surrounding area full of greenery.
|Number of beds||77|
|Total floor area||5,467m²|